Anyway, it is all good, basically. I just have to readjust to the 2 more rounds of chemo.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Good news bad news
We met with the surgeons at Kaiser Oakland this afternoon and were very reassured by their knowledge, skills, and bedside manner. Dr. Grannelli brought in his anatomy book and finally gave me a picture of what's going on that I can understand. He explained how the surgery would be done and answered questions. Dr. Patel also came in and explained and answered some of our questions. So the good news is they feel this surgery will go well, have a good outcome, and I will recover quickly. The bad news is they want me to finish the two more rounds of chemo to make six, under the assumption that the tumor may shrink more and the more it has shrunk the more likely they'll be able to leave my veins and arteries in their natural state. I'm not looking forward to two more rounds of chemo. Last chemo 4/23, surgery maybe a month later - end of May early June. 4-5 days in the hospital, a good 10 days post-op at home before things start to feel somewhat normal....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hang in there, Love Rebecca
ReplyDeleteSounds like they are wisely taking everything into consideration, but I can imagine for you that the thought of two more rounds of chemo is not exactly what you wanted to hear. Are they going to be giving you so more acupuncture treatments to help with the nausea? How are you dealing with the nausea now?
ReplyDeleteI hope to be better soon, so I can start supporting you in a more active way, but I at least look forward to seeing you next week at work.
Such good news except for the rounds of Chemo. I'm sure it helps knowing what is going on inside of you. It gives you more of an understanding which would help me. I think the more info the better. You amaze me. If it were me I think I would be on my back on the couch. I just cannot function when and/or if I'm nauseous. Look forward to seeing you on Monday.
ReplyDeleteWe're with you every step of the way, Sarahdear. This entire winter has been awful for you, but spring is officially here and you can begin to see the resurgence of life . . . and all that positive stuff we are encouraged to think about when totally stressed out. It does help.
ReplyDeleteMany hugs and kisses, ma, lee, & rosie, too
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteYes, your ma said what I was thinking...spring is bringing with it a new beginning and a wide open door for well-being and health that you're going to walk right on through. It must have been hard to hear about that chemo, but I am glad he put a limit to it and not say something more vague and doctor-ish like "if this happens, than that.... and if that happens, then this..." or something. Two is difinitive, and that's what I like about it, as hard as stinky as it will be. I'm with your friend who said she lands on the couch; I'm the same way, nausea completely undoes me. Not you, you push through. Just incredible. A wonder to behold. And I like that he gave you the lay of the land in terms of recovery. Not all of them do that, or at least not in my experience. (Of course you're getting gold standard medical care, and thank those goddesses for that.)
I have a lot of stories to tell, one more absurd than the next in this running saga of my life right now, so let me tell you, I'm as much on that spring awakening band wagon as you are. In case you need some reminders of spring, Ms. West Coaster, the crocuses are out in full glory, the forsythias (did you know Ithaca is called Forsythia City?) are budding, pussywillows are also on the cusp, it's a beautiful thing. And I can't tell you how it lifts my spirits, kind of like leaving Ithaca's grey clouds and seeing the sun. I'm convinced I have such a serious and acute case of Seasonal Affect Disorder from living there so long. So, I feel like bursting into song from the Wiz when they sing "can't you feel a brand new day?!" but truly your news made me feel like that. It's nice when you can hear music swelling like in the movies in your own life. (or is that just me?)
More later,
Marty
I’m glad to hear this (except for the "more chemo part"). And this lovely spring weather brings more healing energy.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see you next week at Mom's Circle.
xo
Debbie
Dear Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear that you have to endure another 2 rounds. But, the Wicked Tumor of the West is melting away. That is so great, and your op will be safer - what wonderful news! You can do this. Be strong. Kick some tumor butt! Eye of the Tiger!
Love,
Elyse
Yes, good and bad - isn't that the title of life? Hopefully the chemo won't get you too down - just the tumors. And think how fast the other rounds have gone (easy for me to say, I know, but I bet it went faster than you thought it would initially, right?). On the bright side - will give you more time to knit!
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Lorrene
Ok Sarah I know there must be news. Anything to report? How are you feeling? Is it this Thursday for more chemo or next? Inquiring minds....
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Marty
Dear Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI finally got a chance to catch up with your writings here. I am thrilled for the good news--it sounds like those doctors are gonna kick that tumor's butt! And sad for the bad news. May it pass quickly.
Love,
Kira
Dear Sarah,
ReplyDeleteIn the event today was the ugly day, I hope things went okay and that you're not feeling too terribly badly.
Thinking of you.
Love, Marty