Sunday, March 29, 2009

Boredom and impatience

I am bored with chemo, its symptoms, and talking about it.  
I am impatient - waiting for treatments #5 & 6 (this Thursday the 1st and April 23rd), recovery time (4-6 weeks for white blood cells to recover) and surgery.  But, as my mother said, do you know anyone who's good at waiting?  I guess not.  So, let's change the subject.
Emily was here for nine lovely days of her Spring Break, leaving today.  It was great to have her here, baking cupcakes, cookies, and challah for us.  She did messy creative projects (tie dye and started a sewing project that she didn't finish) and weeded in the garden.  She did start complaining about lack of structure, so I guess it was time for her to head  back to school.  
The spring weather is lovely.  We have daffodils in the front yard and people are cutting their weedy, overgrown lawns.  We don't have forsythia and pussy willows, and I miss them greatly!  
My son and husband and I are having major battles over the teenager's time spent on World of Warcraft, what constitutes an addiction, and how to limit the time.  Unfortunately, this is a fight that has gone on for too many years, and I am sick of it.  We may spend our Spring Break dealing with the son's wrath and rage as the game time is severely limited, if my good reasoning prevails.  Yes, I'd rather listen to Erik rant and rave (and calmly not engage myself in his histrionics) than leave him doing this extremely sedentary, addictive game for 6-8 hours a day!  And it's a distraction from my own boring condition right now!
Thanks for the last delicious rounds of meals that came in from our next door neighbors Ann and Haruo, down the street neighbors Rebecca and Robert, and far away neighbors Lorene and Michael!  All were great, different, and much appreciated.  Thanks also for new, hand knit scarf and hat Lorene and crocheted hat Beth!  And all the healing hugs I get from work.  And Martha, your words are healing and always make me feel so good.  
Hugs and kisses to all of my faithful followers!
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. annotherkass@rppres.orgMarch 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM

    Wish I could send you some forsythia (named for Mr. Forsythe, so we all grew mispronouncing it as my mother taught me) and some pussy willows. Robert picked the latter for me from his bush, and I kept them for about 10 years.
    After a simply beautiful, warm spring day yesterday . . . it's now in the low 40s and very windy again.
    Sorry we didn't get to Skype while Emily was home, but all of us were busy. Lynn was a huge help yesterday, and we look forward to David flying in tomorrow afternoon. I'm not accomplishing much today because I can't work that hard two days in a row.
    Despite the charming moving guy "Paris" telling me that we'll be all moved in 3 hrs on Thursday AND HAVE FUN, I doubt the fun part. On the other hand, he's really stunningly handsome! Probably in his 30s.
    Hang in there, sweets, use your tenacity (stubbornness?) to get you through. We'll think of each other on the eventful Thursday, right?? xoxoxoxoxo ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    If you figure out how to limit the game playing without histrionics please let us know as we have 2 teen boys hooked on computer and video games over here. Not World of Warcraft, but so many others that seem to be more compelling than anything else - even girls! Not that I mind that less girls part, but honestly, there must be more to life, right?

    Any luck with knitting? I have started a sock (at rate I am going, may be only one) for Michael. Pattern calls for using 5 double sided needles - oh my! No wonder I haven't gotten very far. Someday, though, I plan to look back and laugh at how hard I once thought sock-knitting was!

    Hang in there and enjoy the coming of spring! Nothing like spring to bring up spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are sounding more and more like your old self. How well I remember your frustration about the video games! Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking about you. I must go see my eye surgeon for a checkup. I can see great, it is fabulous. Try to enjoy the nice sunny weather -
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for the check-in and calendar reminder. I need the dates to keep the karma going...So tomorrow, good to know. I am crazy stressed at work and with the situation at home, so it will be an excuse to sit quietly for a time tomorrow and meditate and send vibes and energy your way across the miles.
    That pussy willow bush, Dad loved it so. I have one in my back yard here, less robust, looking a little sad, but blossoms all the same. (Do pussy willows "blossom?") So it's a damn good metaphor for some of us.
    Please do something whimsical for yourself tomorrow, even if it's just jaywalking across the street or buying imported forsythias...the buds are bound to open soon...!
    Love you,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete