Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Good news bad news

The good news is that my PET scan was clear - no sign of other cancer or metastases.  Everything is going well on that front, and I'm recovering from the surgery and phrenic nerve damage day by day.  Radiation begins the week of August 10th and lasts 5-6 weeks, 5 days a week.  I expect that to go well and hope for minimal side effects.  So we're feeling very positive overall about a full recovery and a farewell to this whole unpleasant disease.
The bad news is that Mischief is in the emergency room at UC Davis Veterinary Hospital in Davis, an hour from here.  She was having severe respiratory distress - it may be a collapsed larynx (not good, not treatable) or a laryngeal paralysis, which can be repaired.  She may also have a blocked soft palate, pneumonia, or a mass in her nasal area.  We will know tomorrow whether and what kind of surgery she'll undergo.  I'm a mess but I know we'll make it, no matter the outcome.  I hope to have more good years with my sweet and faithful dog and know that she's in the best place for vet care.  With any luck she'll be home Thursday or Friday. 
If you're a dog lover, please send her good thoughts and healing wishes.  They worked for me; they'll work for her.
Love to all,
Sarah

5 comments:

  1. We're thinking of her. Including Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, saw your facebook post and I'm so very sorry. She was such a sweet and lovable companion. My thoughts are with you.
    -Beth T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little Mischief. I hope she gets better. She is such a good little friend, and has gone through so much with you. I'll be thinking of her, and you...
    Take care,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor baby (both of you)....

    Catherine L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I am so sorry about the loss of little Mischief, I am so glad for your news from the PET Scan and your slow, but steady recovery from the chemo, the surgery, the damage to the phrenic nerve. You have been through so much over these months; it is quite incredible! And still you stay so strong.

    Hopefully you will be able to tolerate the radiation well and then you can put this whole intense life chapter behind you.

    ReplyDelete